Thursday, March 22, 2018

Final Choice of Fonts

          In a previous blog post, I talk about deciding what font I want for my magazine cover.  I have been mulling it over for weeks about which one I like the most for my cover, and I have come to the conclusion that I need to research more fonts.  I don't really love any of them to be on my magazine cover, so I'm going to be researching different types of fonts for my cover page.  I feel like font is one of the most important parts of a cover page because it can shape the way your audience sees your magazine.  It can also make or break the style/look your magazine/cover page is going for.
          I have noticed in the type of genre my magazine is, that all of the fonts are really simple and either upper or lower case.  I think I was going about my font completely wrong before (in my previous blog post about this I wanted a brush stroke type font for my masthead) and I am now looking at examples of magazines with the same genre as mine.



          Both of these covers stick to very simple mastheads, either having the entire masthead upper case or lower case.  So, with my magazine, I am thinking to keep the entire masthead lower case, sticking to a simplistic design like the Marie Claire magazine's masthead.  I also am thinking that my masthead should be white, a good contrast to the pink of the background of the cover photo.  I want to keep the font of my cover lines simple like the masthead, but not overpower the masthead.  The masthead is the most important part of the cover page because the masthead represents the entire magazine as a whole, so I need it to be perfect (and simple!).  I'm going to do some more research about fonts for my masthead before I start editing my cover page/magazine spread, I just wanted to get started before I take any pictures for my magazine.

Citations:

Haworth, A., Warner, A., Sanders, D. M., Buddemeyer, R., Epstein, R., Matthews, L., . . . Bonner, M. (n.d.). Abigail Haworth. Retrieved March 22, 2018, from https://www.marieclaire.com/

Vanity Fair Magazine. (2017, May 28). Entertainment, Politics, and Fashion News. Retrieved March 22, 2018, from https://www.vanityfair.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment