Thursday, March 1, 2018

Indecisiveness at its best


          My name is Taylor and I am starting the making of my magazine spread.  I’ve been thinking about different genres for my magazine and I’m between two: travel or makeup/lifestyle.  I can picture in my head how I want each one to look, but I am unsure which one to go with because both magazines can be good in their own way. I’ve started to research each type of magazine genre to make my decision easier.  The first magazine genre I looked at was travel.  Travel + Leisure was the first magazine to pop up, and the images for the front covers are just beautiful. Travel + Leisure offers advice on places to go, what should be on your traveling bucket list, and so much more.




          But, to get these types of pictures would be difficult, and I want to go with a creative route with my magazine, so it’s making me lean towards doing a makeup/lifestyle type of magazine (and I already have a cute pun for the title!).  I’m super indecisive so hopefully comparing the two covers will help me with my decision.  The first makeup/lifestyle magazine I looked at was Elle.



          I think Elle is the direction that I want to go with if I do make a makeup/lifestyle magazine.  Elle features celebrity interviews, beauty hacks, and a lot about hair tips.  For my magazine though, I see myself focusing more on makeup related things because when I looked up a magazine solely about makeup, there isn't a popular magazine with the subject.  With no magazine that is solely about makeup, I can make my magazine how I see a popular makeup magazine would be.  I’m setting the standards for myself if that makes sense.  I want to pull ideas from lifestyle magazines because that was my original idea, but I also want to my photography for my magazine to be like the type from Travel + Leisure magazine. 



          I’m super interested in the photography for these types of magazines and taking inspiration from the Travel + Leisure magazine.  As you can tell, I think I made a decision about what magazine genre I’m choosing for this project, lifestyle (mainly focused on makeup).  But, I do like this type of cover for my magazine spread.  Elle only focuses on having celebrities as the model for their cover, but I want just a model like this magazine cover does, who isn't known by name and her face is not the only thing seen on the front cover.





Citations:

Palermino, C., Ogunnaike, N., Bailey, A., Jean, E., E., Tannenbaum, E., . . . Tang, E. (n.d.). Charlotte Palermino. Retrieved March 01, 2018, from https://www.elle.com/

Travel Leisure. (n.d.). Retrieved March 01, 2018, from http://www.travelandleisure.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment